Wednesday, February 22, 2012




As I analyze the communicative properties of space, I have chosen to analyze my bedroom. It is the most convenient and the easiest to represent amongst these properties. At this time in school I am a commuter to Kutztown university. I live off campus in a three bedroom apartment, living with only one other person. The third person transferred mid semester leaving us with a guest room, which all sounds nice until the end of the month when the cable and electric bill is only split two ways! The whole apartment is shared including the bathroom except our actual private rooms. A nonverbal agreement to me has been made that all is to be shared except what is in our rooms, maybe the occasional drink in the fridge is also off limits lol. My bedroom is my private territory, which is pretty much my only private territory at school besides possibly my car. I retreat to my room for privacy, relaxation, and even voluntary solitude. From what I've seen in the rest of Kutztown the amount of space in my room is above average. The room consists of two bow windows, a nook for my desk, and a decently  sized closet. The visual aspect of the room represents me and my interests. In one quick peripheral glance you would see baseball equipment, golf clubs, some dirty clothes on the floor (due to a lot of baseball practice), and posters of interest. The posters consist of some alcoholic beverages, baseball, and famous athletes (which are autographed).
After learning about space it seems that solitude is preferred when in my private territory. It would be safe to say that every time I go into my room I shut and lock my door. The reason of which could me be saying nonverbally that when I'm in my room thats my alone time and I don't want to be bothered. I've never really thought about it but maybe when I'm in my room I don't like the possibility of intrusion. The funny thing is that I know that no one is going to barge into my room, but I do it anyway for no reason. My best guess for me doing it is for piece of mind.
The last use of property and space would be my girlfriend and her designated corner. Since shes at my place more time than none suddenly a small primary space has been assigned to her. Its in the corner next to the fan, consisting of a pile containing her stuff. I know now its hers and I shouldn't touch it and if I do I don't think it would be a good idea lol.





1 comment:

  1. Dominick -- our homes usually are private spaces, true. What else is covered in Chapter Three that could be applied here? What about the terms about perceptions of the environment? What about the framework of reactions to the environment? It's obvious that our bedrooms reflect our interests...what can you say that shows off your new knowledge? Please check your posts for punctuation....(she's at my place, for example) and structure your posts like mini essays, with introductions, support and a summarizing conclusion.

    ReplyDelete