The film I have chosen is 7 Brides for 7 Brothers. This was my grandmother’s favorite movie of all time. My grandmother died of cancer 3 years ago and every time I watch this movie I think of her and when me and her use to watch it together. The scene I have picked is the barn scene. The beginning of this scene starts with the 7 brides dancing with seven men of which are not the 7 brothers getting them mad. The brothers then intrude on the dance and start to try to steal them away. The 7 brides continue to go back and for between the two groups of men. The competition grows fierce between the two groups of men taking them from dancing to competitions around the barn. Eventually the 7 brothers win when the 7 brides jump into their arms at the end of the scene.
The first shot is somewhat of an above angle view of the whole dance floor showing every one of which is involved in the scene. The dance continues then the camera view changes from an above angle view to a below eye level view of the dance floor. This below eye level view shows you what the people around the dance floor are seeing since the dance floor is elevated. Throughout the scene the camera view continues to change back and forth between the two views. Also showing an eye level view the camera doesn’t have any movement staying still through all shots not following and movements. This use of multiple angles gives us more feelings of direction and what the characters are feeling without using any words.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDominic -- some nice insights here. (BTW: I watched this when I was little.) Keep thinking about how the shot changes add to our understanding of the story. Your second paragraph starts to contend with this issue, but I'd like to see even more detail and careful thought.
ReplyDelete