As I haven’t traveled outside of my cultural comfort zone America is still the melting pot of the world. The most recent intercultural difference that I have experience would have to be when I visited Chinatown this summer. Immediate things you recognize in intercultural differences are when you write or speak with someone from another culture; you encode your message using the assumptions of your own culture. Members of the immediate conversation decode the message relating to the assumptions of their culture. The greater difference between the culture the greater the chance of misunderstanding. When I was in Chinatown I went into a local gift shop to buy a souvenir and in it we couldn’t even speak a common language. The only thing that was understood interculturaly was money or numbers. The situation was confusing in which misunderstanding was like a theme of the conversation. It was very awkward and something that I wasn’t use to. It’s an experience that I wont forget and its something that will prepare me for future communication interculturaly.
No comments:
Post a Comment